Mac not recognising MIDI keyboard anymore

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been using my Yamaha Piaggero as a MIDI keyboard with Logic but recently the mac won't detect the keyboard. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Yamaha midi drivers but no luck. Any ideas?

I'm using OSx 10.11.6

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model is your Mac?
-Which model Yamaha Piaggero?
-The Yamaha doesn't show as connected in  > System Preferences... > System Report > USB?
-The Yamaha doesn't show as connected in Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup?
-Which version of Logic?
-Have you tried another USB cable?

C

Reaction score
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Yamaha Piaggero NP- 31

Logic Pro X 10.7

I've tried 2 USB cables, both used to work now neither work.

And nope, not showing anywhere.

Thanks!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
This app may assist you in troubleshooting this issue (i am in no way affiliated with this app) ... MIDIMonitor

Try this ... remove the contents of the following two folders by moving their files into to two new folders on your desktop:

Macintosh HD ~> Library ~> Audio ~> MIDI Drivers
Macintosh HD ~> Users ~> [Your User Name] ~> Library ~> Audio ~> MIDI Drivers

the second location above is hidden on Mac OS X 10.7 and above. Hold the Option key as you click on "Go" in the menu to show your User Library.
These are the places where third-party MIDI drivers are stored. If they have become corrupt, or they haven't been installed correctly, removing them and starting over may help.
Restart your computer.
Try your MIDI device again.
If the symptom has been resolved, you should reinstall each of these drivers by visiting the home page for the respective device manufacturers. Note, if your MIDI device Class Compliant, it doesn't require any extra drivers to be installed.
Make sure you check that the keyboard is work properly before you trash the files you had moved from your MIDI Drivers folder to your desktop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmmm tried that and no use. I've attached a screenshot showing that the keyboard is now showing. (E-MU midi)

Also if Logic is open and I plug the keyboard in it says it has an extra midi in out available but still can't get a signal?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 11.49.06.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 11.49.06.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 327

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Well, it is good that it is at least "seen" by the Mac.

-I am not familiar with Logic Pro 10.7, as Logic Pro X 10.3.1 is the current version. Can you double-check that?
-Have you tried Logic Pro > Preferences > MIDI... > General > Reset All MIDI Drivers?
-Do you have another computer that you could connect it to for testing?

NOTE: I see the CleanMyMac icon in your menu bar - I highly recommend uninstalling it, as it is one of those apps that cause far more harm than good.

C

Reaction score
Reset midi drivers done it! Thanks for your help. Out of interest why does Clean My Mac do harm to the computer?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad it's resolved.

Most third-party utilities that run in the background have been known to cause issues with overall system slowness, Internet connectivity issues, removing needed OS X files, corrupting OS X, causing freezes/hangs/kernel panics, preventing peripherals from mounting/operating correctly, etc. Utilities like this aren't needed as a preventative. Most of what CleanMyMac does is done by OS X automatically, or can easily be done by hand.

It is just a friendly suggestion from experience over the years.

C

Ask a Question