mac not recognising cd-rw

Reaction score
hi all.

just wondering, i am having trouble with a re writble cd, my mac is not identifying it as re-writable. neither is toast 8.1. i have also had this problem with a dvd that is dvd-rw... does anyone have any insight into this?

cheers

bret

Reaction score
Hello, are you having problems with a particular RW Disk or all RW Disks? Also, does your drive support RW Discs?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi an63lu5,

Have you erased the re-writeable disc prior to writing to it again?

What are your Mac's specs? What version of Mac OS X are you running?

Reaction score
hi sorry about that.

my mac, is a macbook. 2ghz intel core 2 duo 1.6 gig ram. mac osx 10

i haven't formated the rw disk, my drive is supposed to be cd -r -rw, dvd -r -rw +r +rw +r dl

if you copy files from a pc onto a rw disk, a mac can read it, but it tells me that the disk is not re writable.

this is the error i am having, it also has happened with dvd -rw which i have put data on, and again it will read them but won't let me write to them

bret

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi an63lu5, if you write to a rw disk, say a CD in this case, you would need to erase the disc using Disc Utility (See Pics) before writing to it again.

You can also use Disc Utility to create a Multi-Session Burn:

Recording on a recordable CD more than once:

Normally, you can burn items to a recordable CD, such as a CD-R or CD-RW, only one time. However, if you use Disk Utility to burn the disc, you can burn items to a disk in more than one session as long as space is available. This is also called multisession burning.

In Disk Utility, create a disk image that contains the files you want to burn to the disc.
The files must be from a volume with a Mac OS Extended disk format. To check a volume's disk format, select the disk in Disk Utility and look at the information at the bottom of the Disk Utility window.

Select the disk image in the Disk Utility list and choose Images > Burn.
Select the "Leave disc appendable" checkbox. If you don't see this option, click the triangle in the top-right corner.
Insert a blank recordable CD in the optical drive, and click Burn.
To add more files to the disc later, follow the steps above. You can continue this process until all available space on the disc is used.

Here is some more info about disc burning:

If your computer is equipped with a SuperDrive, you can burn CD-R (CD Recordable), CD-RW (CD ReWritable), DVD-R (DVD Recordable) and DVD-RW (DVD ReWritable) discs using the system software, iTunes, or third-party software programs, such as Roxio Toast. If your computer is equipped with a CD or DVD burner, please follow these instructions to burn CD-R, DVD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-RW discs.

Please note that the first two methods described below (burning discs through the System software and iTunes) create single-session discs — these methods do not support multi-session recording. Once you create a CD using these methods, any unused space on the disc cannot be reused or recovered. Some third-party applications support burning multi-session discs.

To burn DATA CDs/DVDs:

Insert a blank disc into the optical drive.
A dialog box will appear on your screen. Choose Open Finder from the Action: pop-up menu.
An icon for your disc will appear on the desktop. Click the icon to rename your disc. Drag files and folders to the icon. Arrange the files and folders exactly the way you will want them on the finished disc - the order of items, as well as the names of files, folders, and the disc cannot be changed after the disc is burned.
When you're finished, click once on the disc icon to select it and choose Burn Disc... from the File menu. Progress bars will appear in the different stages of the burning process, and you will be prompted when it is finished.
To burn MUSIC CDs/DVDs:

Insert a blank disc into the optical drive.
A dialog box will appear on your screen. Choose Open iTunes from the Action: pop-up menu. The iTunes application should open automatically.
By default, iTunes is set up to burn Audio CDs - music burned in this format can be played by any standard CD player. Audio files will be converted and recorded on the CD in AIFF (CD audio) format. iTunes can also be configured to burn MP3 CDs or Data CDs - please see the iTunes Help menu for instructions.
Create a playlist of the songs you would like to burn, in the order you would like to burn them. The order of songs, as well as their names and the name of the disc cannot be changed after the disc is burned. Please see the iTunes Help menu for instructions on how to create a playlist.
When your playlist is finished, make sure that it is highlighted in the list on the left side of the iTunes window. Then, click the Burn CD button on the top right of the iTunes window. If you are ready to proceed, click the button again to start recording. The burning process may take a while as the application converts, prepares, and burns each song — you will be prompted when the disc is finished.

Select the disc in the left column then click erase ...

Click Erase and you're done ...

Ask a Question