SOLVED Mac Mini won't connect to wifi after disconnection

Reaction score
Hi,

I run a Mac Mini headless. OS is High Sierra. I use an ipad to control it, either via apps or using VNC Viewer.

The problem is that every time it is disconnected from the wifi network (eg if the network goes down, or the Mini is shutdown and restarted) it does not automatically reconnect to the Wifi. I then have to get out a screen and mouse and switch the wifi back on. (ie in contrast to all other devices that will automatically connect to wifi when it becomes available.)

I've followed various suggestions that I've seen online, like deleting wifi networks in networking preferences and starting again, all to no avail.

Any suggestions that anyone has would be gratefully received.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A few things to try if you haven't already:

-Change the Set Service Order of network interfaces by clicking the cog settings button next to the + and - buttons in the lower left of the Network preference pane. Click and drag Wi-Fi to the top of the list.
-Delete any Wi-Fi network entries in Keychain Access in the Utilities folder, then rejoin and check Remember this password in my keychain when joining again.
-If possible, try using Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi for headless Macs.

Let us know if any of those help,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, glad to hear it is resolved.

Let us know if you have additional issues.

Be well,

C

Ask a Question