Mac Mini 2010 won't boot to Windows 7 after 8GB Ram upgrade

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new here as I am fairly new to Macs. I have made the switch to Mac but still have to keep dual boot, Mac OS and Windows for 1 particular app that all-though works on OS X but performs much differently.

That being said, I bought a Mac Mini 2010 Model # A1347 MC270LL/A. I upgraded the hard drive to an SSD, no problem. Installed OS X Snow and partitioned the drive to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Everything worked fine until I upgraded the ram to 2x4GB for a total of 8GB. The Mini stopped booting into Windows 7 after that. Just a little blinking cursor, that's it. Rebooting in to Mac OS X - no problem, Mac OS shows 8GB of ram, everything is good. When I place the 2GB ram that originally came in the Mac Mini back in, both OS's work, put the 8GB again - death on the Windows side.

I know some of you are thinking right now "It's a sign. Stop trying to put Windows on your new Mac"... I know, but I need it. There has to be a fix for this. I reinstalled OS X with 8GB already in the system, then went to Bootcamp, partitioned the drive went through the whole setup of Windows 7 at the end it has to reboot - the blinking prompt again. I even let it sit for a super long time (About 30 mins) nothing, same problem. If anyone can help, would mean the world to me.

Reaction score
Interesting, I'm in the EXACT same position.
Same version of Mac, same amount of Ram after upgrade and also trying to start Win 7.
I've redone the BOOTCAMP and it installs Win 7 just as it should, restarts and continue the installation, restarts again to load up Windows and then it get's stuck at the blinking thing in the lefthand corner.. super strange...

Any help is appreciated...

Reaction score
hey guys have you tried installing with :(only installing the 2 OS)
option 1: with only 2gb ram?
option 2: with only 4gb ram?

then if successful install and reboots, finally shutdown put 2x4gbs and rebooting ?

cause sometimes windows has a RAM limit of 4gb for install only.

Ask a Question