Mac Mini Mid 2010 Ethernet really slow

Reaction score
My MM Mid 2010 is really slow when connecting to the internet using the CAT6 connection. I have a MBP on wireless that blows it away. I also have some Windows devices that are also much much faster. I have the latest ElCapitan OS update 10.11.4 that was recently released.

Any suggestions?

Thanx - Bob

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There could be several reasons for this:

-Bad Ethernet cable
-Settings incorrect on router
-Custom settings in System Preferences... > Network > Ethernet > Advanced

-Which version of OS X?
-What brand/model router?

C

Reaction score
C,
The OS version is clearly noted in the question. Maybe the issue is the source (Youtube). Running Speedtest.net shows 65Mb/sec d/l.
B

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ooops...sorry about that, I guess it didn't register when I was reading your post. ;)

Do you get similar speed results on all of your devices?

C

Reaction score
I do. The Mac Mini may be a bit faster. My grandson gets upset when "RC trucks stuck in the mud" slows down. ;) I have not found a site that is helpful for improving the ethernet adapter settings.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
A few other things to try:

-Check to make sure Adobe Flash is updated if it is installed.
-Try another browser such as Google Chrome of Firefox.
-Lower the resolution of the video.
-In the Network preference pane, click the sprocket icon at the bottom of the interfaces list and Set Service Order... so that Ethernet is at the top of list. For some reason, Apple's default is Bluetooth.

C

Ask a Question