Mac Mini won't boot (seriously frustrated)

Reaction score
Hi.. I just bought a 1.66ghz intel mini from a friend. He thought it worked, but didn't for me.. What it does is get to a gray screen with the spinning gear and sits forever. I have the install disk in and when I hold down C to boot to it it either does the same as above, or the screen eventually goes blue like it's going to the install screen and then it just powers off. If I do command-v, it goes into verbose, but then hangs and sits forever.

I figured it was the HDD somehow, so I've replaced it with a different SATA 2.5 gb drive, same results. If I take the cd out and turn it on, it just goes to the ?/Folder. If I have the CD in and hold down D for the hardware tests, it works fine and passes all the tests "No problems found".

So, the memory tests out, the superdrive must be working or the HW test wouldn't boot off the CD.. maybe the HDD isn't hooked up right or something.. I don't know.. I've had 3 drives total cycle through this thing now (2 80s and a 120gb).

The things that I have disconnected/reconnected are the little ribbon cable that goes from a board on the back to the back of the superdrive, the cardslot thing on the board behind the HDD (under that ribbon cable part) and a fan cable on the front between the cmos battery and the LED.

The HDD just slides out off the connectors and then you just turn it upside down and get it out, I think.. I did notice that it slides off the connectors pretty easy (all 3 drives I've tried, so either I'm doing it consistently wrong or that's normal).

Did I miss something?

I really want this to work rather than have him take it back.. it was a pretty good deal (assuming I can make it work).

All help is greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question