Mac Mini struggles to connect to monitor

Reaction score
Hello,

Found this one a bit hard to google.

My Mac Mini (2018) really struggles to connect to my monitor, I have to boot and hard reset 5-6 times to get them to connect.

I have changed the cable, I have changed from the HDMI to a usb port, I have also used a different screen.

Didn't used to have a problem with my older monitor (2010ish) but two different newer ones have this issue.

The monitor connects to other devices (PS5) with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Hello,

Found this one a bit hard to google.

My Mac Mini (2018) really struggles to connect to my monitor, I have to boot and hard reset 5-6 times to get them to connect.

I have changed the cable, I have changed from the HDMI to a usb port, I have also used a different screen.

Didn't used to have a problem with my older monitor (2010ish) but two different newer ones have this issue.

The monitor connects to other devices (PS5) with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated
Can I guess that you are running on macOS Monterey? Is it updated to the latest version? I had display problems on my Mac mini connected to two monitors—over several versions of Monterey. I had them connected, previously with no problems, via Display Port. Only one monitor would work, no matter what alternate connector I tried… HDMI, USB-C. However, towards the end of the Monterey cycle, the issue was finally fixed and both monitors worked again in Display Port.

Have you updated to macOS Ventura yet? I’m hoping that your display issue would be fixed with macOS 13.

Reaction score
I'm on Ventura and I think I had the issue before I updated to Monterey.
What is the make/model of the monitor? I have a pair of 32" LG Monitors. They both have USB-C, DisplayPort, and HDMI connections, but one works best with DisplayPort and the other with HDMI. I have a 27" LG as well that I moved to my Mac mini, and that one works best with USB-C. Go figure. If your monitor has multiple ports, you may want to experiment with each.

Reaction score
What is the make/model of the monitor? I have a pair of 32" LG Monitors. They both have USB-C, DisplayPort, and HDMI connections, but one works best with DisplayPort and the other with HDMI. I have a 27" LG as well that I moved to my Mac mini, and that one works best with USB-C. Go figure. If your monitor has multiple ports, you may want to experiment with each.
I'm using a LG 27GP95R-B but previously had the issue with a Samsung U32J590UQR

Ther LG does seem to have a few more option that I haven't tried so that's what I'll try next.

Ask a Question