Loading windows 10 into 2014 mac mini

Reaction score
When I attempt to set up Windows 10 onto my mac mini, bootcamp doesn't seem to find my copy of windows that is by design of the computer, on an external device. It only seems to see a usb copy or an iso file. I am using macos mojave as my os. Any ideas? Of course I could always use parallels until of course my license run out, but I would like to avoid that.

Reaction score
It is an official copy of Windows both the iso type and original dvd utilizing Boot Camp software to perform the load. The other problem I seem to have is that when I do manage to get a windows partition created with windows loaded, I can't get the mini to return to the mac side without completely shutting down hitting the "alt" key on the keyboard to select the partition desired, and even that isn't consistent. It frustrated me enough the I had to eliminate the windows partition altogether.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK.

Once Windows is successfully installed, you need to install the Boot Camp drivers/Windows support software, which should add a Boot Camp Control Panel and a way to allow you to Restart in macOS from within Windows. That will prevent you from having to completely shut down to choose macOS again.

C

Reaction score
I did install the Boot Camp drivers after the windows build, but when I attempted to restart in mac os mode I got a message that it couldn't find the boot sector enabling the computer to restart in mac os. That is when I resorted to a shut down and restart using the "alt" key to force it to display the partitions for booting.

Reaction score
I took out the optical drive out of my 2011 17 in MacBook Pro and using BootCamp attempted to put windows 10 from an external dvd drive. It had no trouble seeing and setting up windows on the computer. The only difference between the two computers aside from the type and size is the logic board. The mac mini's (at least the late 2014 one I have) doesn't allow for another os without an internal drive. More users should know about that. BTW the MacBook Pro has MacOs Catalina and the Mac Mini is running MacOs Mojave.

Ask a Question