OSX Not Loading - only windows

Reaction score
I have several bad sectors on my hard drive that i was able to view via the windows side. My OS X won't load any more so I'm guessing it has to do with one of the sectors. Ive tried running disk utilities and repair but it ends in a result of failed to repair. Tried prevent automatic load by hitting shit but get an error. I attached a picture from my cell to show you the error.
Please advise on other options i have to get my OS X to load back up again?

Attachments

• 13717903_10154330360768126_2085563315_o.jpg
    13717903_10154330360768126_2085563315_o.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
First, what exact Mac model do you have?

Secondly, what exact Mac OS are you using?

Third, do you have a backup to an external device? And, is it preferably a bootable one that was done with either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner?

Also, to effectively use Disk Utility for the repairs, it is necessary to do it "externally". Disk Utility "should" be OK< but a more robust disk maintenance/repair program like TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior is even better. In fact, Tech Tool Pro (I use it, and swear by it!) has a specific tool for repairing bad sectors.

By the way, how are you making your posts to this forum?

Reaction score
iMac (27-inch Mid 2011)
El Capitan
No recent backups - i used a external hd via USB
As I continued to try to fix the windows side got corrupted as well so neither OS will load now. I called a local mac repair guy and he said that my hard drive is bad and its only going to get worse. So he proposed new hard drive and reinstall el capital and back up all data after he pulls out the old drive.
Estimate costs about $140 to $200

I signed up to the site and posted the question.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Reaction score
5 years for an internal drive seems somewhat "short", but it will resolve your issue.

What type of drive are you going with?

Also, I would strongly suggest you start making frequent backups to your external drive, after you get the new one. Time Machine is OK, but a program like either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner which makes a bootable backup/clone of your internal drive is even better. I use SuperDuper! to backup both of my Macs to two separate external hard drives (do it once a week), and 1) it is an excellent way to get ready for a new version of the Mac OS (like this fall, when Sierra comes out), and 2) it has "saved my bacon", so to speak, on a couple of occasions.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Im thinking of backing up all that i have now and later on a cloud based service. This way I have no issues with hard drives dying on me or failing. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Reaction score
Actually, I thought the price quote you got included a backup. If it does, where would they back up your stuff to?

Reaction score
I have a external 1T Drive that can hold everything.

Cool! As I mentioned above, you need to start doing backups on a "frequent" basis. What software do you plan on using for that?

Also, you should also start doing your own disk maintenance. Disk Utility is OK for that, but to do it effectively, one needs to do it in an "external" fashion. I myself am actually cleaning stuff off my internal drives (SSDs, for both machines) on a daily basis, but I perform the actual maintenance and repairs (hardly ever necessary) once a week, where I use the excellent freeware product Onyx, and the excellent disk maintenance/repair program TechTool Pro (in addition to my weekly backups). Doing this allows my Macs to be "lean and clean".

Ask a Question