Mac mini (2009), Apple logo, no progress bar, doesn't respond to keyboard, no sounds.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm completely new to Macs.
I acquired a Mac mini (2009)
When I switch it on I get the Apple logo, no progress bar, no response to keyboard, no sounds.
I've left it running for an hour with no change.
Holding the power button for a while turns it off.
Could someone please tell me what the problem might be and some tests I could perform?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.
  • Where did you purchase it from?
  • Did they state there were any issues or that it didn't not have OS X/macOS installed?
C

Reaction score
I got it on ebay. They said it had worked but couldn't test. I bought it with the idea of running Batocera OS on it.

Reaction score
I think one problem is it's not responding to a keyboard. I pulled the hard drive, it's fine but appears to have windows and bootcamp on it.

Reaction score
here are the keyboard commands to use at start up.
you must hold these keys down as you power on.
regards, sandy

Attachments

• start up keys.jpg
    start up keys.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
It turns out it's a 2006 not a 2009.
I think the optical drive is OK. I do get the start-up sound.
I managed to get it to boot in single user mode and pictures is the text that appeared before it froze.
Sorry for small size, It wouldn't let me upload larger.

mac_screen.png

Reaction score
It turns out it's a 2006 not a 2009.
I think the optical drive is OK. I do get the start-up sound.
I managed to get it to boot in single user mode and pictures is the text that appeared before it froze.
Sorry for small size, It wouldn't let me upload larger.

View attachment 4461
That is a UNIX Kernel Panic screen.. means you may have to reinstall the system. as something is seriously gone wrong... try starting in 'Recovery' mode, by holding down the R key or command & R, keys when you turn it on. it will need to be connected to the internet, as I may download the system data from there. there are also the other re-install keys in that list i put up. Regards, Sandy

Ask a Question