MAC MINI 2006 A1176.

Reaction score
Hi, I´m 70 and need some help in order to change my original processor mPGA 479M socket, as well as the ram with the available ones for my Mac mini 2006, A1176. I´ve been told that this may be upgraded to 4 gb ram, but I still look for the best processor and type of ram memory to order for my equipment. I´m asking if someone may indicate me what to install. Thks very much in advance. Tjks again for your time and best regards from Palma, Balearic Is. Toni Vidal, EA6MP. 20th may/19.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Can you check your serial number to give us the exact model of your Mac mini: Check Your Service and Support Coverage. It will give you a name like Mac mini (Early 2006), Mac mini (Late 2006), Mac mini (Mid 2007), etc. A1776 is the model name of all three of those revisions. You can also get the Model Identifier from  > About This Mac > System Report/More Info > Model Identifier. It will be something like Macmini1,1.

As the Mac mini isn't a user-serviceable unit, and can be a little tricky to work on, it isn't recommended to service it yourself. Honetly, any of the compatible processor upgrades won't give you much additional performance, and won't change the maximum version of Mac OS X that can be installed. The 2006 models can only support Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, and the 2007 can go up to 10.7.5 Lion. Those models have two memory slots, use 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMMs, and have an official RAM limit of 2 GB.

Is there a particular reason you want to perform these upgrades?

C

Ask a Question