Mac Mail thinks that mail from me is junk

Reaction score
For a few months now, any time I send myself an email (which is very often) Mac Mail classifies it as junk. The other day I got an email from my husband and Mac Mail also believed it to be junk. I would REALLY like to fix this. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else been able to FIX it? I've tried everything I can think of. I've even had a lengthy conversation with Apple and still I have this problem. I use Yahoo mail (the Yahoo mail website does not do this) on an iMac. I'm using Sierra, version 10.12.6. My mail on my iPhone 6 does not have this problem, just Mac Mail. I thought it was supposed to learn, after being told several times by the user, what is junk and what is not. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It definitely sounds like a setting in Mail > Preferences... > Junk Mail, or your email address has accidentally been marked as junk on the Mac.

-You could reset junk mail filtering and see f that helps...but, that will also "forget" all the training that has been done to this point.
-You could also remove all the items in Mail > Window > Previous Recipients.

From Apple Mail Help:

If messages are incorrectly marked as junk
There are several ways you can prevent Mail from incorrectly marking legitimate messages as junk.

•Tell Mail that a message is legitimate by marking it as not junk. Click Not Junk in the banner of the message; or select the message, then click the Not Junk button
IL_notjunk_mail_box.png
in the Mail toolbar.

•Add the sender to the Contacts app.

•Review your junk mail settings in the Junk Mail pane of Mail preferences, as well as any rules you might have created to handle junk mail, and make changes as necessary.

See if any of that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I did reset the junk mail filtering just now but it didn't help. When I spoke to the person at Apple, we checked/changed several mail settings and nothing helped. Of course, every time Mail calls mail from me junk, I tell it that it is NOT junk, but it doesn't seem to "hear'" me. And I AM in my contacts list and it seems that anyone who I have in my contacts list, especially ME, would not be labeled as junk. And apparently this app can no longer learn from what I tell it. This has never been a problem until a few months ago. Oh, well. Thanks again!

Hello,

It definitely sounds like a setting in Mail > Preferences... > Junk Mail, or your email address has accidentally been marked as junk on the Mac.

-You could reset junk mail filtering and see f that helps...but, that will also "forget" all the training that has been done to this point.
-You could also remove all the items in Mail > Window > Previous Recipients.

From Apple Mail Help:

If messages are incorrectly marked as junk
There are several ways you can prevent Mail from incorrectly marking legitimate messages as junk.

•Tell Mail that a message is legitimate by marking it as not junk. Click Not Junk in the banner of the message; or select the message, then click the Not Junk button
IL_notjunk_mail_box.png
in the Mail toolbar.

•Add the sender to the Contacts app.

•Review your junk mail settings in the Junk Mail pane of Mail preferences, as well as any rules you might have created to handle junk mail, and make changes as necessary.

See if any of that helps,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Let me think on it a bit more, and I will let you know if I come up with anything additional.

C

Ask a Question