MAC can't connect when wifi repeater used

Reaction score
I am very novice with MAC's but none of our Android's or windows machines have any trouble connecting to the router or the wifi repeater I setup with an old Linksys E3000 router.

Easy to setup, main router is the DHCP and cat5e goes from router to Linksys ethernet port (not the internet port).

But when the Linksys is on, the MAC Book Pro (purchased in Sept 2011) cannot connect to the network. It sees the SSID, but then says "None of your preferred networks are available, choose from this list a network you wish to join" and I can see the SSID that both routers broadcast and then choose it, at which point it says that the "connection timed out".

Both routers are using 20mhz/40mhz, mixed mode WPA/WPA2, aes ccm/tkip. Naturally both routers are setup the same, that's why the Windows machines and Androids have no issues.

The only thing I can think of to try, is to give the "repeater" a diff SSID, which forces us to actively choose to switch routers manually when in a diff area.

Ask a Question