Mac-book pro help?

Reaction score
Hello all.

I've had my Mac 5 years now so I expect its rather old. Its starting to have a few clutches and small annoying faults. Just wondered if you can download something from Mac that will do a full diagnostic and tell me what's wrong and how to put it right. Happy to pay for a result naturally? I'm on Mac OS MOJAVE.

Thanks all.

Richard.

Reaction score
Hi Richard,

Sorry you are experiencing issues. Need to ask a couple of questions:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup on your own?
2. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device?
3. Do you have any virus software running in the background?
4. What third party software do you use, if any?
5. How much free space do you have on your internal device? And is that device a Hard Disk Drive )HDD), or a Solid State Drive (SSD)?

There is a very good free program you can use, but first need to know if you have a backup. Also, Disk Utility can help, although not as extensively as another commercial program.

Reaction score
Marty. Thanks first of all for the response.

I have CCC cleaner. I'v not added any software I am aware, only use Safari. I did a back up about a year ago, but don't add data apart form the odd photo, no video or such, no games. I only use it for watching You-Tube, my blog, e-mails with family and the odd forum visits. I've 77 gb of 121 available. Does that help any Marty? I can do another back up today, should I do that?

Reaction score
Thanks for the details. That's helpful. I forgot to ask a couple of other questions (although the second one could be answered by the first):

1. What exact Mac model do you have?
2. Is the internal drive a Hard Disk Drive (HDD), or a Solid State Drive (SSD)?

Also, what software did you use for the backup? And it is to an external drive/device, correct? If so, please provide as many details as possible about that device.

Based on your statement "I've 77 gb of 121 available", I'm guessing you are have a Mac laptop.

In any event, except for not backing up frequently, things appear to be fine. CCC is a decent program, and maybe you should run it more often. I use a similar program called Onyx, and I run it once a week on both of my Macs.

I can only speculate at this point, but if you have an internal HDD, it most likely spins at 5400 rpm, which, unfortunately and especially by today's standards, is painfully slow. You do, though, have a lot of free space on it.

One thing you could do right away is to try and do some disk cleanup on your own. Maybe there are some older files/folders you no longer need.

So, before recommending some more specific detailed steps, please provide answers to my questions above.

Reaction score
Its a 13'' MacBook Pro with retina? 2.7 HTZ 8GB. There is no internal disc drive for playing movies or backup disc port, and yes I think its a hard dive model. I've a separate back up machine that has most of my older stuff on. I've run CCC again, I don't include any of the more technical stuff to run, as I don't understand it to be honest with the CCC. These are advanced things on it to run, but to date not tried, like font registry for example?

Reaction score
Run the PRAM thanks but did not help the pictures loading problem.

Example I have always uploaded pictures from my laptop to my blog, when my blog asks to upload an image, it takes me to my photo page, but when I click photos (little camera) it either says no media found, or says loading images with a icon in the corner going around and around, it does not load?

Reaction score
It seems you have a 124 gig SSD inside your machine, from what I was able to decipher. But having no separate backup is not good. If you had one (and a bootable one is the best), we could help you more.

Reaction score
Marty.

I've a little machine you plug into your computer that you can download to, up to a terabit of memory I'm told?

Reaction score
Marty.

I've a little machine you plug into your computer that you can download to, up to a terabit of memory I'm told?
What do you mean by a "little machine"? Is it a storage device? I recently purchased this:

That is, as you can see, a 1 TB External SSD. Is that what you mean?

Reaction score
So, please provide exact details about the device:

1. Name
2. Capacity
3. How it connects to your Mac.
4. What is on there now.
5. Is it partitioned?

Ask a Question