mac 4.2 hard drive help

• format a wiped drive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • format wiped drive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I recently purchased a mac 4.2. on ebay the hard drive was wiped and there was a note in the box that said this.

All of our hard drives need to be formatted and / or partitioned. (small lost line goes here.)
securely through our company. all hard drives are put through a wipe process that leaves the drives with no partitions and unformated. hard drives will need to be formatted before use. when loading an operating system, you must change the boot sequence to start up with your type of media (USB,optical drive,whichever) in order to format the drive to load your software. Your computer may require your BIOS setting that the hard drive setting be set to legacy or ATA mode to ready your hard drive.

sorry im a noob at this i have tried allot of the keyboard commands but n gets me a twirling planet then drops back into the ? folder. so it just seems that i need to format the drive is there anything i can do? C dosnt do much either.

Last edited:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
need more info about the mac you purchased … 4.2. isn't enough info.

just give us the exact description as per the ebay listing.

have you booted holding the option key? this boots into startup manager.

Reaction score
APPLE IMAC 4.2 Computer 17"Core 2 DUO T2400 /1GB /160GB W/Keyboard & Mouse#7691#

Operating System
OS Installed There is no operating system installed and discs are not included
Screen Specifications
Screen Size 17"
Resolution 1440 x 900
Screen Type LCD
Touchscreen no
Memory Specifications
Total Memory 1GB
Memory Configuration 2 x 512mb
Memory Slots 2
Memory Type DDR2
Processor Specifications
CPU Type Intel Core 2 DUO T2400
CPU Speed 1.83GHZ
Hard Drive Specifications
Hard Drive Size 160GB
Hard Drive Type SATA
Optical Drive Specifications
Optical Drive CD-RW
Graphics Specifications
Graphics ATI Radeon X1600 graphics processor
Wireless
WIFI yes
Ports
USB Ports 3
VGA Port No
DVI Port no
HDMI PORT no
Display Port no
Ethernet Port 1
Additional Information
Speakers INTERNAL
Web Cam yes
BIOS Locked no
Manufacturer Date N/A
Base/ Mount yes
Power Supply / Cord POWER CORD INCLUDED
Notesd with keyboard and mouse
Defect minor scratches and scuffs on case, minor scuff on top of screen

As to holding the option key. i have tried that and when i do i get my mavericks boot usb thumb drive to come up but when i click on it it tries to do something but eventually goes back to the ? folder.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The specs you listed are for an iMac (Early 2006, 17-inch), which should be iMac4,1. iMac4,2 had Intel GMA 950 graphics. Either model has a maximum OS version of Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. That is why you are getting the ? when trying to install OS X 10.9 Mavericks...it isn't supported.

You will need to find/purchase a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard retail install disc.
when loading an operating system, you must change the boot sequence to start up with your type of media (USB,optical drive,whichever) in order to format the drive to load your software. Your computer may require your BIOS setting that the hard drive setting be set to legacy or ATA mode to ready your hard drive.
Also, those references refer to PCs, not Macs, so don't worry about them.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question