SOLVED Ludite With Original Historical Documents

Reaction score
My wife has a collection of old documents; but they are starting to deteriorate They are history so I'd hate to see them crumble to dust in safe deposit. I'd like to copy them somehow and send them to some people I trust to see if they are interested in preserving them. My problem: I am a ludite. How is the best way to reduce some of the documents to a PDF (or other if better) image so I can e-mail it to them?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

First, you could simply take a photo if you are looking to send them to folks electronically. You can use a desktop scanner to scan them, then return them to their safe storage. Also, if you have an iPhone or iPad, you can use the built-in Scan Documents function, which takes a photo and converts them to a scanned document instead of a photo.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

First, you could simply take a photo if you are looking to send them to folks electronically. You can use a desktop scanner to scan them, then return them to their safe storage. Also, if you have an iPhone or iPad, you can use the built-in Scan Documents function, which takes a photo and converts them to a scanned document instead of a photo.

C
LOL, when I say "ludite" I mean a simple flip phone and about 3 functions on my comp:
1. word processor and printer
2. email (sorta- aol and I can't make it my primary so I just click on the icon)
3. this site where I come from time to time whenever I wish I was not so luditish

Thanks. But I'm going to have someone with a smart phone take the pics and send them.

Reaction score
Hi, been doing thsi for a long time.

depending on your main computer. OS Venture and apple Photos now has OCR capabilities to take an image, scanned or photographed and make it into text. (several utube videos on this can be found on that channel)
i do similar, but I have an Epson XL10000 scanner ($6K in my country) it depends on the flimsyness or fragility of the documents. i have documents that are turning to powder also. so for them any brought handling is out.

if you don't have the latest venture, several brands of scanners these days may also have OCR programs bundled with their software.

one suggestion is when scanning or photographing, I place Black sheets of paper behind any paper documents, stops back scatter of light and bleed through of any text from behind. (Many craft stores have it) I also have a very thick plate of perspex, 5mm thick which I use as a 'pressure plate' to hold curled and wrinkled paper flat to the scanner face, as so scanners have VERY limited depth of field.

regards, Sandy

Ask a Question