Get the names of Alias files to change with the original file name when it is changed?

Reaction score
How can I get the name of an Alias file to change along with the original it links to? Is there another type of file link that will allow for this?
If an Alias is merely a portal- a link to another file, then I can't see why this wouldn't happen from default; if the original file name changes yet the name of the Alias linking to it remains the same, how will I get a good idea of which Alias files link to what originals? Surely this should be a fundamental (and possibly the most important) difference between an "Alias" file and a file "Copy"!?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

There isn't a way that I know to have an alias change if the name of the file it is linked to changes. If the name of the original changes, you can do a Get Info on the alias and it will show the path to the original, which will have the new name. You can also right-click on the alias and select Show Original to go to it.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, still a useful tip! Will leave question open for others to weigh in. Perhaps there is an app that will serve this purpose out there somewhere?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
There may be, but none that I am aware of. We'll see what any other members say.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
There may be, but none that I am aware of. We'll see what any other members say.

Be well,

C
Thanks Cory.

Does this website not have much traffic or something? I say this because I swear you're the only one who answers my queries!
I think I've only ever had a response on my questions from 1 or 2 other users, the rest is all you! One-man army huh?

Cheers.

Ask a Question