Cannot boot from Original OS cds

Reaction score
So here is what happened. My mac was acting up, freezing when it went to sleep. So I turned the sleep mode off, but kept happening. So since everything is on my secondary hard drive, I thought, lets just wipe the main hard drive and reinstall OS. Well, I used Disk Utility to erase the drive, and then it asked for my apple ID to download the Mac OS. And then it froze. So now I have a computer that will not start, obviously because there is no operating system. And I can't get it to start from the Mac OS CDs I bought. I bought this computer used so I do not have the original CDs that came with the computer.

The computer is:
A1186 Mac Pro Intel Xeon Quad 3.0GHz Dual Core 2GB 250GB-Pre owned

And I bought Mac OS Snow Leopard cds since that is what it originally came with.

But I cannot get the computer to start up from the cds (booting holding the C key down).

Any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Depending on the exact model of Mac Pro, it would have come with either (MacPro2,1) Tiger 10.4.9 or (MacPro3,1) Leopard 10.5.1/2.

-Which exact model of Mac Pro - MacPro2,1 (8-core) or MacPro3,1 (Early 2008)?
-Are the discs you bought retail copies, or OEM gray machine-specific discs?
-Do you have any third-party RAM installed?
-Which version of OS X was it trying to download and install - depending on your exact model it supports up to Lion 10.7.5 or El Capitan 10.11.6.

You can enter the Mac Pro's serial number here to get the exact model:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage

C

Ask a Question