Long lasting bootcamp?

Reaction score
Greetings!

Pretty confused to choose between 2015 vs 2016 15” versions of MacbookPros. I do lot of multimedia stuffs with Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects… With my experience of switching back and forth between Mac and PC I feel OS X is much better for my workflow. At least I don’t have to deal with annoying forced updates in Windows 10 and frequent crashes. But as a student I have to use Windows often for running several simulation and education softwares.

The latest gen. MacbookPros does have a bit smaller battery but lasts on par or in some cases better than the previous generation (2015). I believe it has to do more (maybe equally) with software optimization than with efficiency of the hardwares.

Since the same performance-power optimization doesn’t apply to windows, Can you guys recommend which generation (2015 or 2016) of MacBookPro will be apt for (relatively) long lasting workflow in Windows 10(bootcamp) keeping in mind the battery sizes of both generations? Will the larger be better for Windows?

PS: I’m not big fan of Parallels, firstly I would like the OS to use the full hardware resource available instead of restricting it virtually. Secondly, upgrades aren’t free.

Have a good day! Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I do not go near windows, but many friends who do and use windows 10 in a virtual machine inside OS X using virtualization software, which is not what you want to do.

The latest gen. MacbookPros does have a bit smaller battery but lasts on par or in some cases better than the previous generation (2015)

Now, the not so good news, Boot Camp is for performance pointing to what you want (gamers defiantly prefer this route), your Mac has incredible battery life and it is so good for one reason only because its been optimized for use with OS X, which is tailored to work perfectly with a very specific set of hardware and is heavily optimized because of it. Windows is designed to run on lots of different hardware and is nowhere near as optimized, big down side.:( So end result would be you would lose a few hours battery life running Windows. I also believe there may still be track pad issues.

Therefor if you want the best battery life it looks like a 2015, as I said this is just my personal thoughts.;)

Reaction score
Hi,

Personally I do not go near windows, but many friends who do and use windows 10 in a virtual machine inside OS X using virtualization software, which is not what you want to do.

Now, the not so good news, Boot Camp is for performance pointing to what you want (gamers defiantly prefer this route), your Mac has incredible battery life and it is so good for one reason only because its been optimized for use with OS X, which is tailored to work perfectly with a very specific set of hardware and is heavily optimized because of it. Windows is designed to run on lots of different hardware and is nowhere near as optimized, big down side.:( So end result would be you would lose a few hours battery life running Windows. I also believe there may still be track pad issues.

Therefor if you want the best battery life it looks like a 2015, as I said this is just my personal thoughts.;)
I'm not expecting 7 hours from Windows. I want the MBP to run bit more instead of searching for plug points. Thanks for the info @oldscribe

Ask a Question