LogIn Screen is Tinted White.

Reaction score
Okay, this is one weird one. When I turn on my 2017 iMac and the login screen comes up instead of the pastel brown High Sierra color, the screen is tinted white. And it is not just the background as the account icons have turned white as well.

When I log into any account, the screen turns into the regular brown HS screen. Once I am logged in there are no further problems. It is just the login screen.

I tried Disk First Aid from the boot drive, and I reinstalled High Sierra. Neither has solved the problem.

My only guess is that the picture for the login screen has become corrupted somehow. Though I would have thought reinstalling the OS would have fixed that.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Michael

Reaction score
The method for both of those is the same is it not? Cmd, Option, P, R? Just tried that. It did not fix the problem.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes - Command-Option-P-R

OK...here's another thing to try:

At the login screen, press Control-Option-Command-8 keys simultaneously. That toggles the Invert colors setting in System Preferences... > Accessibility.

Let us know if that works,

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...those are two things that I know of. Will look into it more and let you know.

You could try changing the desktop when you are logged in, then see if those help at all.

C

Reaction score
Nope that didn't change it back either. At this point I guess my question is is this more likely to be a software issue or a hardware issue. If the former and the login screen is just going to be white, I can live with it. If there is a chance it is a hardware issue though, I need to get it fixed.

Reaction score
I know I'm really stretching now, but there isn't some app that changes the login screen according to the season is there? We are in winter. lol.

Reaction score
I was sure we had it this time. I changed the login picture, then checked that the com.apple.desktop.admin.png was the new image. Which it was. And it was in proper color.

BUT

When I logged out I have this new picture - tinted all white!!!!!
Tried a restart just for chuckles and that didn't change anything.

I'm still stuck with white!

Can I delete this .png file in Caches and force the Mac to create an entirely fresh png?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to delete that file, as it is just a cache file. It will either recreate it automatically, or you will need to change the desktop manual in System Preferences.

Strange issue indeed.

C

Reaction score
Deleted the png, restarted and the OS put the original HS screen up - and - it -is -still - white. Damndest thing I have ever seen.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Definitely a stumper.

Can you upload a photo of the screen, so we can see it exactly? I have some friends that I can ask about it too. I have never heard of it that the steps we took before didn't correct it.

Also, do you happen to have another user on the Mac that you could login to, then logout of, to see if it happens with all users?

C

Reaction score
I know I answered your post after you asked it, but it isn't here. Weird.

Anywho there other user accounts; logging into them and then out of gets the same result.

Attached is the pic you asked for.
M

Attachments

• White-Screen.gif
    White-Screen.gif
    410.7 KB · Views: 192

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries. Thanks for the photo...it confirms what I thought. It is showing the login screen with inverted colors. The key commands from before should have worked.

I may have figured out why it didn't. The Invert colors shortcut (Control-Option-Command-8) is disabled by default. Navigate to  > System Preferences... > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Accessibility and check the box next to Invert colors. Then logout and see if that combination fixes it.

Let me know,

C

Reaction score
No love. After clicking on the box I did a log out, and even a restart to make double sure. The login screen is still white.

Ask a Question