iMac crashes to login screen after 5 seconds

Reaction score
Having just upgraded to OS X things had been running well. Then I installed a third party security programme from my bank RBS (uk) since when the mac crashes to the login screen after a few seconds. I've tried quickly force quitting open programs but the reset is too fast for anything to respond. No time to get to back ups or time machine before the grey screen.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Then I installed a third party security programme from my bank
I was pestered by the same sort of thing from HSBC (Trusteer Rapport), but never installed it. You are running a Mac and should not need this sort of software.
Try to start yur Mac in Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), follow these steps.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key.
    The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during startup. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.

If you can boot into safe mode Delete the security software then do the following.

Restart your computer without holding any keys during startup.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

I was pestered by the same sort of thing from HSBC (Trusteer Rapport), but never installed it. You are running a Mac and should not need this sort of software.
Try to start yur Mac in Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), follow these steps.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key.
    The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during startup. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.

If you can boot into safe mode Delete the security software then do the following.

Restart your computer without holding any keys during startup.
Thanks.

I can get into safe mood but there is no sign of the installed third party security software -Rapport. Also, time machine appears frozen in safe mood and will not let me choose a backup to restore from....

Ask a Question