Location Services stopped working

Reaction score
Hi there - I have 2 Macbooks, the older one is a mid-2012 macbook pro running 10.13.6 High Sierra.

By way of background, it has recently had its 3rd HDD installed after the prior 2 failed, the newest one is a SSD.

I updated software this morning. The issue started with this older mac not showing up on find my mac on my iphone.

I turned off find my mac, and then turned it on again. An issue is that the "Options" button is not showing up next to the "Find my mac" checklist under "icloud", however, Find my mac is otherwise checked "on" in this menu. When I turned these settings back on, the computer froze up for about 2 minutes before coming right again.

I also have "Location Services" checked on under "security & Privacy." I turned this off and on again, and also checked that "find my mac" was checked on under "System services - allow system services to determine your location."

I also checked the box that shows the little arrow in the top right of the screen when location services is running. This arrow however never shows.

My location is not showing up in Maps.

Under "find my mac" in the ipihone I have, this Mac showed up once, about half an hour ago, then the iphone is unable to locate this Mac. However the Mac does show up with the correct name.

What can I do as a next diagnostic step to try to get location services running again? thanks

Ask a Question