Photos library location problem

Reaction score
Hi Forum.
I foolishly removed Photos from a new phone that I plan to use only for streaming radio, and that put Photos Library and iPhoto Library into the trash on my iMac. When I went to move the libraries into the Pictures folder, I got a message saying the items would be moved to this Mac and no longer available in iCloud Drive on any of my devices. I have no idea what to do. Advice would be so appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Are/were you using iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone and iMac?
-Do you happen to have a Time Machine or other backup of your iMac?

C

Reaction score
- I'm using iCloud Photo Library on my phone, must be on my iMac. Or would it have landed in the trash even if I hadn't been using it?
- I use Seagate to back up my iMac.

At the moment, iPhoto Library and Photos Library are on my desktop. This seems to be working fine, but I'd still like to know where they ought to reside.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Normally, the iPhoto Library and Photos Library are located in your Pictures folder, not the Desktop. Good you have a backup!

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. I think they were in the Pictures folder, but I can't put them there now because apparently it's only on my iMac and not on the cloud. I suppose the proper path for me to take is to learn more about the cloud, which I don't understand at all.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Normally, the libraries are located in the Pictures folder on your Mac as I mentioned, which doesn't have any affect on how they interact with iCloud.

Here is more information: Set up and use iCloud Photos

I personally don't use it, so I have limited knowledge about it.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Normally, the libraries are located in the Pictures folder on your Mac as I mentioned, which doesn't have any affect on how they interact with iCloud.

Here is more information: Set up and use iCloud Photos

I personally don't use it, so I have limited knowledge about it.

C
I've never used iCloud Photos on purpose and it turns out that whatever was in that folder has been migrated to Photos. I guess the dilemma is why those two folders landed in Trash and why I'm now advised not to put them in the Pictures folder. I'm just going to leave it alone for the moment since things are working, so I'll mark this thread as solved. Thanks for your replies, Cory.

Reaction score
Hm. Then again, I won't mark it as solved in case I do eventually come up with the solution.

Ask a Question