Photos Repair Library hangs at 5%

Reaction score

The hang has been going on for over 24 hours. Photos won't let you quit the application without force quitting. Which I did a couple of times before seeing a post that I shouldn't do it.

I have another program called Power Photos from which I can access all my libraries. It shows which library is active in Photos and you can select another one for Photos to open. It shows the hanging one as the one open in Photos.

I can view individual photos in Power Photos and open them in Preview. Should I try to get Power Photos to open the problem library?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of Photos?
-How large is the Photos Library and how many photos are in it?
-Do you have a recent Time Machine or other backup of the Photos Library?
-Have you tried contacting Fat Cat Software, in case it may have to do with the PowerPhotos interaction with Photos?

C

Reaction score
OS 10.13.6
Photos 3.0 (3291.13.210)
22.11GB
about 6k photos
Yes to Time Machine
And have sent question to Fat Cat

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Hopefully Fat Cat will have a workaround. That's a decent-sized Photos Library. I would bet there is either a photo file or corrupted preference causing the hang. You are correct that it isn't a good idea to force quit an application while it is processing. That could be a part of the issue at this point.

Let us know what they say, and we'll go from there.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Hopefully Fat Cat will have a workaround. That's a decent-sized Photos Library. I would bet there is either a photo file or corrupted preference causing the hang. You are correct that it isn't a good idea to force quit an application while it is processing. That could be a part of the issue at this point.

Let us know what they say, and we'll go from there.

C
OK, thanks for the reply! I'll let you know what Fat Cat says (if anything).

Reaction score
Huh! So, until I could talk to Fat Cat, I have been leaving the hung "Repairin Library" box open on my computer and just putting it to sleep at night. But tonight, we had brief power interruption that shut down my computer. When I turned it back on, Photos was active, the repairing library box was gone and the problem library was open! All seems to be good now, both Photos and Power Photos.

Computer mysteries - that's why they call them black boxes.

Anyway, thanks for your interest! I appreciate the feedback!

Masomenos

Ask a Question