Backup photos from MacBook

Reaction score
I am new to the forums and would say slightly better than computer illiterate. I have 3 older MacBook Pros that contain photos over a number of years. No, I never have completely backed any of these up. Now as I have gotten older I would like to move them to a separate hard drive so I can sort and have them in one location.

Is there a simple way to do so?

Thanks so much for the help,

Willie

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Willie, welcome aboard :). I'm sure someone here will be able to help you - I've changed the title of your thread and moved it to the correct section to ensure you get a reply.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We'll see if we can help you out. A few questions for you, so we know where you are now, and how to approach your project:
-Which version(s) of OS X/macOS on the MBPs?
-Approximately how many photos on each or total?
-Are the photos stored loose in the Pictures folders, or have they been imported into the iPhoto/Photos application?
-Do you already have an external drive to use?
-Do you happen to have two external drives - one to move the photos to, and one to back them up?

Remember: It's not if a hard drive will fail, it's when. It would be a really good idea to get things backed up before you begin, or at least once they have been copied to an exteranl, before you start sorting them.

Happy to have you,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We'll see if we can help you out. A few questions for you, so we know where you are now, and how to approach your project:
-Which version(s) of OS X/macOS on the MBPs?
-Approximately how many photos on each or total?
-Are the photos stored loose in the Pictures folders, or have they been imported into the iPhoto/Photos application?
-Do you already have an external drive to use?
-Do you happen to have two external drives - one to move the photos to, and one to back them up?

Remember: It's not if a hard drive will fail, it's when. It would be a really good idea to get things backed up before you begin, or at least once they have been copied to an exteranl, before you start sorting them.

Happy to have you,

C
Hi Cory,
Thanks for replying. I will get back to you next week, we were called out of town suddenly. Thanks again and I look forward to resolving this soon! Thanks W

Reaction score
What is your current workflow for importing and storing photos?
Do you use any 3rd party software for cataloging or sorting photos?

Reaction score
Hi Lufbrarunner,
Thanks for replying. I will get back to you next week, we were called out of town suddenly. Thanks again and I look forward to resolving this soon! Thanks W ,

Ask a Question