Hello

Reaction score
i have imac running os sierra. at start up western digital discovery software is flashing in menu and in top right of screen, also in dock. please help. already tried booting in safe mode

Reaction score
Hi mikel,

Welcome! You'll find quite a few helpful folks here. (By the way, our oldest son lives in Richmond).

Regarding your issue, it might be better for the admin folks to move this discussion to a different forum on here. But, to start, need to know the following:

1. What exact iMac model do you have?

2. I would assume you have some "kind" of Western Digital device. If it's a hard drive, is it an internal or an external one? No matter which, Western Digital drives are somewhat notorious with not working "nicely" with Macs.

3. If it is an external drive, has it been erased and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Assuming you have nothing on it that is critical, and that you can afford to lose, I suspect that once you erase and format (and possibly partition?) the external drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), that software will be gone. You can do that Erase and Format with Disk Utility, which is contained in the Utilities folder, which is within your Applications folder.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply , honestone. I believe that i was able to solve the problem. I restarted and logged in as guest, then deleted the obnoxious software. Restarted and logged in as me. Problem solved. Which external drives are more compatible with Macs

Reaction score
Glad you got the problem resolved. But regarding the (I assume) external drive, how is it formatted?

Also, there are times where Western Digital drives work fine. But the "best", in terms of working with Macs, are drives that have Seagate mechanisms inside.

Ask a Question