Large files moved did not free up storage space

Reaction score
Hello,

Due to a lack of space on my internal drive I wanted to free up space by deleting a number of files and moving the files I wanted to keep to an external drive.
The move operation went well but, on my 2TB of disk space I only have about 300GB free while I moved about 800GB on the external drive.
Following this observation, I started the maintenance of CleanMyMac to repair but without success (on the other hand I have the impression that my machine is very slow now at startup).
I saw on the Net that Time Machine could be the cause of the problem so I removed the backup disk to deactivate Time Machine, without success, I emptied the backup disk entirely and then restored Time Machine with but Nothing has changed.
Always on the Net I saw that Onyx maintenance could potentially solve the problem but ultimately not at all on my machine.
Still on the Net I saw that we could go through "tmutil" and I deleted the only snapshot that I found but without success.

When viewing the memory occupation of the disk with OmniDiskSweeper I see that there is about 700GB of allocated disk space :

Capture d’écran 2021-08-30 à 19.37.27.png

However, the remaining free space is a little more than 300GB, so about 1.7TB of occupied space, which is very far from 700GB.

Capture d’écran 2021-08-30 à 19.18.22.png

Does anyone know how to reclaim this ghost space?

I would like to point out that the files corresponding to the 800GB moved have indeed disappeared from my hard drive. In any case, I no longer see them in the Finder.

My environment :

Capture d’écran 2021-08-30 à 19.43.01.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.
  • Quick thought - do the moved files happen to still be in the Trash or is it empty?
  • Do you use iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Google Drive, or any other cloud-based sync service?
  • Do you backup any iOS devices to this Mac?
C

Ask a Question