How do I split large files?

Reaction score
Is there an app (preferably free) that will split a large file into smaller chunks, like Winrar does in Wind*ws?

Reaction score
What type of file are you talking about? For example, Preview can split a PDF into individual pages, if needed. So, in order to provide a reasonable answer, I think we'd need to know what file you're trying to split.

Reaction score
At the moment I need to split a large movie file (mpeg) but it wd be useful to be able to split music files too occasionally. I've just got a trial version of Stuffit Pro, thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
At the moment I need to split a large movie file (mpeg) but it wd be useful to be able to split music files too occasionally. I've just got a trial version of Stuffit Pro, thanks for the suggestion.
You're welcome. I take it that Stuffit Deluxe 12 segments files as well. In my opinion this is pretty close to being one of those "must have apps" for a Mac. :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
... but it wd be useful to be able to split music files too occasionally.

I know that there are dedicated 3rd Party apps out there for this but I use GarageBand to split audio files and use the "Export To iTunes" feature when I'm done.

Reaction score
The only viable idea here (as I see it) is stuffit, as the other solutions are specific for the file types they handle, while stuffit can make a split archive out of anything (and make it possible to eg. e-mail a huge file somewhere, as most e-mail providers pose a limit on how large each message+attachments may be, or even for up/downloading files over slow connections and not risking to have the connection break in the middle of a 200-MB file with no way to resume but restart from the beginning).

Ask a Question