Sending Large Files:Pando

Reaction score
This has been an ongoing question of mine.
I compile classical music playlists for a radio station and burn the lists to CD and mail them off.
It's extremely time consuming, but an obsessive hobby of mine.

I've asked this question before and not received much useful advice I'm afraid. This time I'm hoping that changes.

Yesterday after Googling this topic, I came across an article in the NY Times about a free file sender called Pando.

I duly downloaded Pando's free version (capable of sending 1 Gig).
Then I made a disc image copy of a 60 min music playlist in Toast 8 and dragged it into Pando.

It all went very smoothly. It's very intuitive and easy to use.

It took over three hours to send the file to my brother in another country which surprised me. It also slowed my computer noticably.

My brother mailed me this morning (Tues May 26) to say he'd given up trying to get the download at his end after waiting two hours. He asked me the following:
"I thought you said this would be a faster way than sending individual tracks via Google! It isn't........it's a dog and I'm deleting it"

Well, apart from him being a tad unappreciative, he has a point.

Pando seems to work easily enough unless you want to download in a reasonable time.

I guess for emergencies it is OK but it slowed everything else down so much whilst sending, that I think I'll ditch it too.

My question: surely I'm not the only music nut who wants to share playlists with friends and surely there's a fast efficient way other than burning and posting DVDs around the world.

Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
Bear in mind, if your brother has a slow internet connection, it's still going to be slow, regardless of which method you choose to send the music files. If indeed your brother has a slow internet connection, you might be better off segmenting the music files and sending him the segments via email, Pando or YouSendIt. :)

Reaction score
Ah, I just read your first post. Unfortunately the free version of YouSendIt only allows a hundred megabyte limit as well as RapidShare. I think that a .Mac account would be your best bet. I downloaded a 362.8 MB music file from my friend's iDisc today in 10.51 minutes. In addition, I share files that are over a gig in size and haven't heard any complaints. ;)

Ask a Question