Sending photo attachments in Mac Mail

Reaction score
Hello. Is there anyone out there who knows why it is getting harder and harder for me to send photos as attachments? I haven't updated my system lately (I'm on Mavericks 10.9.5) because a program that's very important to me won't work with Sierra. But I used to be able to send jpgs of any size to anyone, and they would receive and view them. I often had to check the box "Send Windows-friendly attachments" to send them to PC owners. But nothing I have tried recently will alleviate the heartbreak of so often attaching photos to a message and having the friend/colleague write back and say "what attachments?". My photos are all jpegs, all processed in Photoshop CS6, just as they have been for years, but fewer and fewer people can see them, including many Mac users. Anyone know anything about this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

As far as I know, nothing has changed on Apple's end regarding photo attachments in emails.

-You are using the Mail app, correct?
-Are the photos larger than 5 or 10 MB by chance? Some email providers have an attachment size limit.
-Have you tried sending a test email with photo attachment to yourself?

C

Reaction score
I am using Mail, the photos are almost all smaller than 1 MB. I can easily send attachments if I do it through the server for my email (Comcast), never a problem, but when I send them by Mac Mail, many people can't see them. It has become so much worse in recent years that it drives me a little bit crazy, as I never know whether someone will be able to see a photo I send them, and I spend a lot of time resending photos and trying to think of ways to get around the problem. Thanks for your response!

Reaction score
I am also a Comcast customer, and I use Outlook 2016 for my EMail needs. I have never had an issue with attachments (only limitation is size). But I am confused by your statement "but when I send them by Mac Mail, many people can't see them.". I always use Comcast for sending EMails/attachments with Outlook 2016. However, if I sign on to my accounts on gmail and hotmail, I am not doing that through Outlook. But if you are using a Mail account added to the Mail App, then that is a different "animal". Is that what you mean, ie, you have a Mail account (like gmail, hotmail, etc.) added to the Mail App, and thus send EMails "that way"?

Ask a Question