Kernel Panic

Reaction score
Looks like my Macbook Pro has crashed. System keeps restarting on its own with a white screen suggesting a Kernel Panic kind of situation.

I tried basic troubleshooting using Disk Utiltiy. There my internal hdd ( I have two 2 partitions of 250 GB each) with OSX installed appears to be greyed out.
Repair disk gives the Error : "Disk Utility cant repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

What are the possible options I have to fix my system? Do i need to re-install / reformat my OSX?

I do have a cloned backup / disk image made using Carbon Copy Cloner on an external drive. Would this help? What are the steps to follow in this case?

Please guide me with possible solutions.

System info - Macbook Pro (Mid 2012)
OSX - 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

Thanks.

Reaction score
Looks like my Macbook Pro has crashed. System keeps restarting on its own with a white screen suggesting a Kernel Panic kind of situation.

I tried basic troubleshooting using Disk Utiltiy. There my internal hdd ( I have two 2 partitions of 250 GB each) with OSX installed appears to be greyed out.
Repair disk gives the Error : "Disk Utility cant repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

What are the possible options I have to fix my system? Do i need to re-install / reformat my OSX?

I do have a cloned backup / disk image made using Carbon Copy Cloner on an external drive. Would this help? What are the steps to follow in this case?

Please guide me with possible solutions.

System info - Macbook Pro (Mid 2012)
OSX - 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

Thanks.
Disk Utility is possibly unable to repair your startup disk because it has to be unmounted to perform First Aid. I don’t remember the Disk Utility interface in Mavericks. The current version will warn you that the system will not be responsive during the operation (because it has to be unmounted). If you are able to restart into Recovery, its Disk Utility will be able to run First Aid on your system volume.

Is the CCC clone a disk image or a mirror copy of your system disk? If it’s the latter, you should be able to boot from it. And if it’s a current clone of your startup disk, you should be able to boot from it and run Disk Utility from there. I emphasized “current clone” because you can also start into Recovery and install macOS directly, although Recovery will probably make you install macOS Catalina (the highest version your Macbook Pro will run). You may have some apps that will not work with macOS 10.15.

And there’s the issue with the second partition in your internal drive. Is it also cloned and up-to-date? You may have to reformat the internal drive if you want to install macOS Catalina. Anyway, lots of things to think about and consider. The most important thing at this point is to have reliable, up-to-date backups of all your data.

Ask a Question