MacBook Air Kernel Panics

Reaction score
Hoo boy this is gonna be a lengthy piece of text

On September 25, my Macbook Air (2014 11 inch) prompted me to update the OS, which of course I did without hesitation and as usual. Once it finished updating, when I booted it up, it starts making this weird sound like one would hear in movies when austronauts breathed in their suits. It wouldnt boot up and it would just stay as a grey/black screen.
Panicked, I gave my MacBook Air to my dad and sadly we weren't able to do anything about it. He takes it to a third-party repair (not the Genius Bar because they charge wayyyy too much for their fixes) and they have Mac OS Catalina reinstalled. The weird noises disappear upon booting up, great! But here comes the next problem.
Every so often I'd get kernel panics at the most random times. Note that ever since I got my MacBook back from the repair dude (around September 30-ish), I did NOT download any third party apps (Microsoft productivity apps, games, discord, you name it). Kernel crashes would happen every so often while I used safari and it ticked me off so bad. So because of that, dad reinstalled Big Sur (version 11.5.2) and it worked like a charm. From October 1st to 4th it was fine, no problem.
It just so happened that today I get an even newer problem (fml), a log-in screen with no profile picture and a user name that says and i quote "[Updated Needed]". Logged in, waited a few moments, shut it off, turned it back on, my original user name and profile appear, and just a few minutes of using (30 minutes or so) the Kernel Panics come back.
Now I'm really anxious to update my Mac OS back to Big Sur 11.6, because that is what initially caused those weird sounds upon booting up, so now I'm lost. What the hell should i do?

Reaction score
Try this first: Shut down the Mac. If it seems to be overheated, give it a few minutes to cool down. Otherwise, wait about half a minute and fire it up. Immediately hold down the Shift key in order to do a Safe Boot. A Safe Boot will perform a fsck (file system consistency check) and clear temporary system caches. If it completes the boot-up process, enabling you to log in, go ahead and restart and see if it fixed your problems.

If you don’t already have a Time Machine backup, I suggest you do so. Add redundancy (more than one), if affordable. Then start backing up. You will need this in case you have to do more radical fixes to your system, e.g., wiping and reinstalling macOS and restoring your data using Recovery Mode.

Ask a Question