SOLVED Item in Calendar cannot be deleted

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a birthday reminder for March 12 2024 that is not something I put on my calendar. I tried to delete but it will not. I tried Apple and Siri but was told I cannot delete because I am not the "organizer". Calendar tells me it is "read only"!!! How do I delete this birthday reminder, I tried unchecking "birthdays" in Calendar but this will not go away. Thanks guys. BTW, MacBook Air running Sonoma 14.1.1.

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

Birthdays in the calendar are read from your Contacts. Open your Contacts app and locate the person whose birthday you want to delete and delete it from their contact card.

Reaction score
Was able to delete from contacts BUT his birthday still populates my calendar on his Bday and is NOT deletable. Any help please.?

Reaction score
I deleted the contact and yes I restarted and on iPhone too. Still there. When I go to contacts, the delete line is greyed out, ie not usable.
the contact is gone but the Bday is still there.
Begs the questions;
#1 How can someone who is not the "organizer" or administrator add a Bday to MY calendar without me being able to delete. and
#2 Why can I not delete a Bday or anything else , from MY calendar on MY computer? Eh, Apple? Anyone?

Reaction score
Have you tried to login toi icloud.com and see if the birthday is still there in your contacts and calendars?

Reaction score
It took probably 12 hours after I deleted the contact that the Calendar Bday message was gone both from Mac and iPhone. So I will click "solved" Thanks.

Ask a Question