Issue with APFS File System

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place or whatever. I'm usually happy to look things up but this on has me puzzled. I have recently upgraded my macbook 2011 to an SSD and replaced my optical drive with the old HDD. Everything worked well. I have windows booted on a small partition of the hdd. Mac OS on the SSD. Because I produce music, I use a lot of storage with samples, midi files etc. So the space gets used up quick. I recently also lost a lot of my work due to a hard drive fail and me not backing up like an %$%*£$(%%)(£%$$(£%)@%! So this time, until I buy a new external for time machine, I'm using icloud to backup. icloud only backs up from the document and desktop folder and I intended to keep the bulk of my files on the HDD so not to clog up the SSD. Then keep less important files between the SSD and the External. So, I've moved my home folder to the HDD. All is well, performance is spot on. No complaints.

Until I noticed on my HDD, I have a large portion of space allocated to. 'Other Volumes Container' It was about 40 something GB about a week ago. I looked in and found out about APFS. Low and behold, my SSD is formatted to APFS and I have a container with my OS. So I thought nothing of it at the time. But this other volumes in container keeps growing, quite rapidly. Its now at 80gb. my HDD is still formatted to Mac OS Extended Journal. Is it going to keep growing? Is this an issue with me having my home folder on the second HDD? If so is there anyway round it? I'd like to keep the setup how it is atm. I am considering a second SSD at some point anyway, but still, strange that it should be doing this.

Sorry to rant on, but any help would be appreciated. I've attached a couple of screenshots,

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 20.45.39.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 20.45.39.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 20.48.19.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 20.48.19.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 21.23.00.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 21.23.00.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I wouldn't worry about the APFS Container Scheme part of the report. APFS Containers constantly change size, since the space is shared between the volumes. Your HDD still shows the EFI, Mac OS , and Boot Camp partitions correctly in the physical disc section.

An APFS FAQ: Partitions, Volumes, and AFPS Containers

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question