SSD Over capacity issue?

Reaction score
Hey all- running into an issue with my 500GB SSD on a mid 2012 MBP (HD last replaced in 2015).

When I delete things, the amount of "used" space never seems to go down, but "available" goes up. Typical screenshot below.

Pretty certain that my machine is on it's last legs, but wondering if anyone's run into this before? No matter what I seem to do that "purgable" number only seems to increase as well.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Not an issue I have come across previously. I wonder if it may have something to do with the format - APFS (Encrypted). There were issues in the past with Mac OS Extended (Encrypted), as well as FileVault issues.

-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-This is a third-party SSD, correct? If so, which brand/model?
-Is there a specific reason you chose APFS (Encrypted)?
-You are running Mojave, correct?

C

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I have a current time machine, and backing it up did seem to lower the amount purgeable, but currently, it's still showing 100 GB available and 425 GB used on my 500GB HD.

It's actually a first party SSD, replaced by apple under applecare when the first one failed, so I don't believe I chose APFS. I think it came back that way from apple.

Currently running mojave 10.14.4

thanks for any help you can give!

Ask a Question