Is it okay to update my Browser

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been using my Mac with Adobe design software for quite a few years and my Chrome is out of date. Some years ago I was told that updating the browser may cause problems for my software and stopped updating for some time as I have a lot of software I want to look after. It would be good to update it though as I am not able to access certain websites. I wondered if anyone has an opinion or has updated chrome or safari and have software and have not noticed any issues.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hmm... You could leave your Chrome alone for now and use Firefox instead for awhile. Update Firefox to the latest version and see how it goes. If Firefox works, then you don't have to worry about updating Chrome. So long as Firefox is working then if Chrome causes issues after you upgrade it you can just delete Chrome.

I'm not a browser expert, but my guess is that you should be able to update both these browsers to the latest version without difficulty. At least that's been my experience.

If you mention what machine and OS you are using Cory or someone else may be able to offer better advice.

Reaction score
Back up your system thoroughly in a bootable form, and update away. If you have problems, just recover your old system. This will take a little machine time, but not your time.

Reaction score
Hello thank you for replying. I have been trying to find a browser that I can install onto an older mac: 10.6.8.
Can anyone recommend a browser that I can use. I have been trying to install various firefox applications and am still trying to find something that is functional. Most are not loading web pages. I cannot update my operating system due to the adobe software I cannot risk losing. Thank you insights appreciated.

Reaction score
I have a laptop still running 10.6.8, and firefox.

Here's a directory of old versions:

My old laptop is running this version of firefox - 45.0.2

The developers warn that using old versions will mean you don't have latest security updates and thus may be vulnerable to the evil doers.

Reaction score
Maybe this will help? Would you care to explain which Adobe software you are using? There may be alternatives available that would liberate you from this concern.

As example, five years or so I bought some Adobe video editing software for $100. It was Ok, but I then found Hitfilm, which is free and far better.

After awhile I found I could no longer even launch the Adobe software. It's something about the way they tie it all together and connect in to their website, or some other needless FUBAR. I solved the problem by discarding everything Adobe.

Ask a Question