Update from OS Tiger to OS Lion (or above) with USB? Please, help me.

Reaction score
I have a very old Mac from 2009 which, prior to a format, was upgraded to Lion. After formatting, I unfortunately found that I had lost the installation disk for Lion and that I only own the one for Tiger, which I normally use. To my detriment, I discovered that there is no "via system" upgrade from Tiger to Lion, and it necessarily requires the disk. I called the Apple to buy it but they told me “it is no longer on the market”.

I was wondering if it is possible to do some installation through alternative ways thanks to a USB stick: on the internet I don't find anything or almost nothing. Also I was wondering if it is possible to install later versions of Lion: I know my PC is too old and it could not, but I would like to force the installation if possible.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Have you tried: Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac

Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.

Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.

Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Have you tried: Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac

Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. Use this key combination to reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your system, or to use the other apps in macOS Recovery.

Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.

Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.

C
Hello and thank you.

Yes I have. Sadly nothing of this work, simply because my machine is too old and those versions are too old that, when connected to internet, it says "No more available".
I know it's sad to say, but I can only restore this thing through pirated ways (even if it's nothing pirated, I paid for the disc for these versions, I really spent money, and that's why I'm impatient with Apple). Obviously, I'm not good with PCs so I don't know what to do. I know that you need TransMac and things like that, but I need a step-by-step guide..

Ask a Question