iPod Battery life

Reaction score
Hi

I'm having concerns about the life of my iPod battery. It's a 3rd Gen 40 GB which I bought off eBay last christmas, it had been opened and I think used for a short period of time by the seller but was sold as new and is in good condition. But when I take it out to college, bike rides etc.
on a full charge I seem to listin for roughly 1-2 hours of music and the batt icon on my iPod is half to 3/4 empty.

Also when I leave it overnight in it's Dock sometimes I'd shut my computer down and the iPod goes off fully charged but when I picked it up the next morning the battery was depleted. :eek:

Ric

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds like your iPod has possibly not been getting a full charge due to your dodgy cable (as per https://www.mac-help.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112&postcount=16 ).

With any device iPod, laptop etc that has a rechargeable battery, I have always found that it is best to give it a full charge, and then use the device untill the battery is depleted. Then charge it and use it. I know it is a pain to use it like this, but you will get the best out of the battery. Don't recharge it when it is still half full.

You can buy a new battery for your iPod, it is a little tricky to install but it is possible to do. Not something you need to do yet !

Regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Good iPod battery life tip:

When you're not using it and it's not being charged, turn on the Hold button. This will prevent the iPod from "waking" on its own, and keep the charge much longer.

Also, set the Backlight for Never/Off. It will drain the battery faster than you can pick you're next tune.

Cory

Reaction score
yeah i always put it on hold when i'm not using it because sometimes the button might get knocked and turn itself on

Reaction score
Right...

My iPod battery life is getting worse. I let the battery completely run out then fully charge it but it still only last's for about 2 Hrs. It's not just my iPod which has a crappy batt life my sister says her mini only lasts for a short period and also my friend told me that his batt life sucks which he sent back because it broke then got a brand new one and says the batt life on that sucks also :(

I'm just really pied off that I never get a full charge out of the iPod and wouldn't dream of taking it on holiday (as I can only carge from dock)

Right now I have just taken my iPod out of it's dock because it said "Charged" but the batt icon was only half full so i put it back in for 3 Hrs the took it out and it was the same ARRGG!!!

Ric

Reaction score
Danster said:
... ARRGG!!!

Wifey has an iPod photo, but her battery seems ok (new at Christmas), apart from the suggestions below the only thing left is to rip it apart and throw in a new battery...it's not still under warranty is it ? Even if it is out of warranty, Apple may service it for you, (they take your iPod, you give them $105 and they will give you a brand new one !)

Not sure if I've already suggested these, but anyhoo...

Apple's Advice on Battery Care

Apple's Advice on Battery Care 2

iPod Battery Install Pictures

Apple iPod Service Pages UK

Apple iPod Service Pages USA

iPod FAQ

How long can you expect your battery to last?
For more than 500 battery charging cycles (one charging cycle consisting of draining the battery, then recharging it to a full charge) Depending on heavy or lighter use, this battery life span can range from approximately 2 to 9 years.

How long should I charge the battery when I take it out of the box?
Charging it for 3-4 hours before first use is recommended.
How to best charge the battery?
You should recharge it to full charge regularly, before it has an opportunity to fully discharge.

Does the iPod battery have a memory effect?
No.
What is the difference between charging via FireWire or via AC Adapter?
Charging via the AC Adapter is quicker.

Is the battery meter defective?
Yes. Users have reported that after fully charging the meter shows only half power. This usually normalizes after a few minutes of use. Also, with the meter on empty, you can get hours of playing time. The meter is thus no true indicator of battery power.

If I don't get 8 hours of battery life, is the iPod defective?
Not necessarily. Battery life varies according to use (menu switching) and individualized settings. Doing a battery test will determine your iPod's performance: load the iPod with enough tracks to play for at least 8 hours. Allow the iPod to play the tracks using the standard settings (no EQ, normal volume, etc.) and without accessing it during this time. The iPod should play for 7-8 continuous hours.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise I will try some of the suggestions like turning the EQ off and charging it from the wall.

Is the battery meter defective?........Yes.

I'v noticed that when I'v charged it fully and the battery icon says depleted but it lasts for a few hours.

Ask a Question