Is my iPod Nano dead?

Reaction score
My iPod Nano (I believe it is 5th generation) is only showing the "white screen of death." I have tried resetting it numerous times holding down the Menu and Select buttons. I tried charging it for two hours and then holding down the Menu and Select buttons. Each time the white screen would be replace by a black screen (no logo) and then the white screen would appear again. I restored it in iTunes, and the white screen was still there. Tried the reset thing again after this, and no change. Is it dead?

Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading it wrong - and if so, I hope you can tell me what I'm missing - but putting the iPod into Disc Mode seems to involve the reset working. When I try to do the reset - i.e. "Turn the Hold switch on, then back to off.
Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for 10 seconds (until the Apple logo appears)" - I never see the Apple logo. It just goes to a black screen, then back to a white screen, then black, then white and on and on till I take my fingers off the iPod. Again, unless I'm missing something, putting it into Disc Mode seems to depend on getting the Apple logo to appear. I did charge the iPod for 3 or 4 hours after initial reset failed, and again could not get the logo to appear.

One other thing I did not mention as I was not sure the iPod was at fault. After successfully listening to a podcast in the car through the iPod, I tried to listen to a different one and it sounded like a 78 record being played at 16. I wasn't sure that is wasn't my download that was at fault until just now when I listened to it on my iMac. It was right after this, when I took the iPod out of the car, that I noticed the white screen.

One last thing. My iMac can see the iPod and the music tracks and podcasts it contains. I did a restore from the computer, but nothing changed.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sounds like a hardware issue - logic board or display. If it is an iPod nano (5th Generation), then unfortunately it is vintage, and cannot be repaired/replaced by Apple.

C

Ask a Question