iPhoto pictures vanished

Reaction score
A couple of days after a routine reboot – I’m using OS 10.6.8 – I cannot access anything in my iPhoto file. The app is there but when I click on it I get a box that says: “What photo library do you want iPhoto to use?” Over a blank area it says: “To open, iPhoto needs a photo library. Select a library from the list or find another library on your computer etc.” There is no list and I can’t find anything that resembles my pictures in my library. How do I recover my hundreds of pictures?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, the iPhoto Library is located in Macintosh HD > Users > your user folder > Pictures. It may have been renamed or moved accidentally, and will probably be quite a bit larger than other files. You could use Spotlight to try and locate it.

Do you happen to have a Time Machine or other backup of your data on an external hard drive?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Normally, the iPhoto Library is located in Macintosh HD > Users > your user folder > Pictures. It may have been renamed or moved accidentally, and will probably be quite a bit larger than other files. You could use Spotlight to try and locate it.

Do you happen to have a Time Machine or other backup of your data on an external hard drive?

C

Okay, this is truly -- but I mean TRULY weird.

First, thank you for your help. Now here's a bit of a twilight zone story for you:

I happend to be going to dinner last night with friends in a restaurant in a mall. Saturday night it was jammed. We were about a half-hour early so they had no table for us yet and we, my wife and our friends, decided to kill time by wandering around the indoor mall. There is an Apple stone in the mall so I sent the others on their window-shopping way and figured I'd see if I could get any answers at the Genius Bar. Indeed, an employee -- it wasn't at the Genius Bar so I'm not sure whether he was a genius or not -- did try to help. He also thought the iPhoto files would be in the "Picture" folder but he thought that was in the sidebar of the Finder. It wasn't, but last night after we returned from a very nice dinner -- if there's a P.F. Chang, an Asian fusion restaurant near you I highly recommend it -- I set out to find that file, and did. It was voluminous but strange. I didn't recognize any of the identifications or names. I clicked on a few and one or two were sort of familiar but most were not. And some were completely mystifying, things I know I never put in that app. (I do use iPhoto for cleaning up and fixing pictures I need for other projects so there are some odd pictures there but these, as I said, were mystifying. But it was getting late so I put that file in the error box I mentioned in my post and figured I would go through iPhoto in the morning. As it turned out, though, iPhoto, when I opened it, was empty.

Today I received your email and since that made more sense than what I was into I put the iPhoto file in the Trash and started to do look where you suggested. But I couldn't find it. Then a lightning bolt struck. I looked in the Trash, scrolled down a few days worth and THERE IT WAS! iPhoto in the trash! How the hell it got there is something I will never know. It makes absolutely no sense. When I put it back where you said it belongs everything was exactly as it should be.

I've been backing up my computer in the cloud and assumed all the pictures were backed up as well, but now I'm not sure; the iPhoto file on the website seemed to be empty. Today is Sunday so tomorrow I will query the site. But first I will buy one of those flash drives for photo backup!

Anyway, long story, happy ending. Again, thank you for your concern and help.

Ask a Question