iPhone doesn't connect to Windows

Reaction score
Dear community,

Whenever I plug-in my new iPhone SE to a Windows Laptop (i tried two different ones) it is not recognized and I receive the following message: "USB device not recognized. One of the USB Devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it."

In the device manager, the iPhone SE is being shown as "unknown device" and it doesnt appear in portable devices.

My old iPhone 5S has no issues connecting to both computers. and my IPhone SE is recognized without problems by a Macbook.

I bought the iPhone 2 weeks ago and when I installed it and loaded the back-up on to it, everything worked fine.

Product: iPhone SE. iOS 9.3.3.
all components (Windows, iOS, iTunes) are up to date.

I spent already hours on trying to solve the problem, going through dozens of websites searching for solutions:
- I tried different USB ports
- Itried different cables
- I totally deinstalled all apple software from my computer (including Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device, etc. etc. in the correct order)
- I re-installed itunes several times and in different versions
- I switched off my laptop, took out the battery
- I deinstalled, deactivated and installed the USB drivers several times
- I manually installed the USB driver several times
- I deinstalled iTunes and installed the drivers offered by CopyTrans
- Since I am currently working in a country which is embargoed (I work in humanitarian aid), I installed a VPN and installed iTunes while running on a VPN connection
- I worked on the anti-virus programme
I think I tried more than that, but this is what comes to my mind.

I am hesitant to put the iphone back to factory default. because at the moment I can at least use the phone. if cannot connect after the factory default my phone is useless. unfortunately I am currently not close to an apple store.

Did anyone have similar problems?
Does anyone have another advice?

Your help is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Zelophan

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It really sounds to me like you did all of the troubleshooting that I can think of. I don't have much experience with iTunes/iPhone on Windows machines. I wouldn't restore the iPhone in your particular situation, and would use iCloud or the MacBook as a backup until you get to a place that is closer to an Apple Store or in-person support.

Since it worked initially, the only thing that comes to mind is the possibility of liquid damage that may have affected the Lightning connector on the iPhone itself. Could that be a possibility in your environment?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It really sounds to me like you did all of the troubleshooting that I can think of. I don't have much experience with iTunes/iPhone on Windows machines. I wouldn't restore the iPhone in your particular situation, and would use iCloud or the MacBook as a backup until you get to a place that is closer to an Apple Store or in-person support.

Since it worked initially, the only thing that comes to mind is the possibility of liquid damage that may have affected the Lightning connector on the iPhone itself. Could that be a possibility in your environment?

C

Hi C

Many thanks for your reply.
Liquid damage can be excluded. The phone is new and hasnt seen water, but from safe distance.
I follow your advice on using iCloud.

Best,
Z

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Good luck and let us know how it works out, or if you have additional questions.

C

Ask a Question