IPhone 15 MacBook Sync Issue

Reaction score
I have an issue whereby my iPhone 15 will not sync with iTunes on my MacBook. This has always been an issue since I got my iPhone in November 23. It does charge when it’s plugged in but no sync for music etc.

My previous iPhone 13 mini synced without any issues.

My MacBook is really old now (circa 2010/2011), I think I’ve updated the operating system and iTunes to the most current version available.

Can anyone provide any guidance? Is it just a case of my MacBook being too old?

I know there are programs that can be downloaded as a work around to transfer music across, but I think they’re a bit clunky.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The iPhone 15 requires the following:

Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:
  • macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
What version of macOS are you running?

C

Reaction score
Many thanks for your response.

That confirms the issue. My macOS is Sierra Version 10.12.6.

Any thoughts on a simple workaround to get my music from my MacBook to my iPhone?

I did try using MobileTrans, but it was a long painful experience and just didn’t work very well. Some of the albums I did transfer were all over the place!!

Reaction score
iTunes no longer exists, more recent macOS now use the Finder window for iPhone syncing. Having said that you should be able to update your MacBook (2009 or later model) to the next OS (High Sierra) which should solve your problem but please do a backup first because it is a major Upgrade and your device may not survive it.

Reaction score
My iMac is running 10.13.6 and iTunes is 12.8.3.1.

My iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 17.4.1 is not recognised in iTunes and I haven't been able to sync it...any ideas please.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Galahad,

If you run the MobileDeviceUpdater, it should fix your issue.

To do this, in the Finder under the Go menu select Go to Folder.
Type in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources
In the folder that opens locate MobileDeviceUpdater and double click it to run it.

You will not see the app do anything, but this should fix your issue. You may need to restart your Mac.

Reaction score
Hi MacsBug,

When I type that in the only folders that are there are...%CO;g (Empty), Applications, Library, System, User Information, and Users

Nothing for MobileDeviceUpdater

Reaction score
Copy the path of /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Then once you select Go To Folder under the Go menu, paste in the path that you copied above.

Then you will see the MobileDeviceUpdater

Ask a Question