iPad mini upgrade.

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Mini 1.

I'm a basic user, but struggling with continual denial to download apps IE can't load Spotify, Amazon Video etc.

Can't justify the $800 price to upgrade because the only additional problem is that mine has become SOO SLOW.

Is there any way I can improve my minis performance????

Or am I backed into the Mac corner????
Thanks in advance.
Don.

Reaction score
Hmm... I don't really know, but here are a few thoughts.

Putting money in to a 2012 machine may not be wise. I don't know the Mac Mini well enough to even know if that is possible.

You might be able to buy a used machine that is better than what you have for less than $800. If you have a trusted friend who wants to part with such a machine that would be ideal. Next best option, a local Mac repair shop.

You might not even need a Mac. If you're using your machine primarily for basic tasks like email and the web a Chromebook might suffice, which would be substantially cheaper than a new Mac. Modern Chromebooks do much more than email and the web, but power user jobs like video editing are probably still better done on a Mac. You might make a list of your "must have" features and visit a Chromebook forum to see what users say.

Another option could be to think of a new Mac like you would a leased car. Divide the price by however many months of full support Apple provides via whatever support option you choose. So for example an $800 machine plus $300 support divided by 36 months would be $30 per month. When the 36 months is up sell the machine, and buy a new one, thus you're always covered by full support. These numbers are best guesses so you'll need to plug in the correct numbers of course. If you put the new machine on a credit card then you can pay per month, with interest added to the price of course.

All that said, I'm a bit surprised your 2012 machine is having such limitations as I'm on a 2011 iMac and not having such troubles. I suppose there could be something wrong with your system software, which would be good, as that could be fixed at no expense.

If you have an external drive you could SuperDuper your entire setup to the external drive for safe keeping, and then do whatever repairs on your boot drive that you decide are necessary. If the upgrade goes wrong, you still have your current setup available.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Is this an iPad mini as the title of your post states, or a Mac mini as you mentioned in the post?

C

Reaction score
Yea, good question. Sorry I missed that. I see now it's posted in the iPad forum. Duh....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the clarification.

The iPad mini (Wi-Fi) from 2012 supports a maximum version of iOS of 9.3.5. Because of this, and the relatively "old" age in computer years, many of the newer apps and versions of older apps will not install because the hardware/software don't meet the mimic specifications. I still have an old iPad 2, which is even older and slower, and has the same issues you are experiencing.

Unfortunately, the only resolution for rectifying the inability to download apps is to replace it with a newer model. The current base model iPad mini is only $399 USD, and you can still get a full-size iPad (8th Generation) starting at $329 USD.

Sorry, but hope that helps a bit.

C

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the clarification.

The iPad mini (Wi-Fi) from 2012 supports a maximum version of iOS of 9.3.5. Because of this, and the relatively "old" age in computer years, many of the newer apps and versions of older apps will not install because the hardware/software don't meet the mimic specifications. I still have an old iPad 2, which is even older and slower, and has the same issues you are experiencing.

Unfortunately, the only resolution for rectifying the inability to download apps is to replace it with a newer model. The current base model iPad mini is only $399 USD, and you can still get a full-size iPad (8th Generation) starting at $329 USD.

Sorry, but hope that helps a bit.

C
Thanks Cory

Ask a Question