Ipad mini help

Reaction score
I recently adopted my first cousin's 11 year old son from a horrible situation. He brought an ipad mini with him. If I had to make a guess its' about 3 or 4 years old. He uses facetime on it to chat with his friends from his old neighborhood. He's very lonely and it's been a rough adjustment.

The problem is the ipad is now disabled from his mother trying to guess the code so she could sell it to a consignment shop. Apple won't help me reset it because I have no receipt and it was bought at best buy, not apple.

I've searched online for the last few days... All the information online says to use the desktop you set it up with to reset it. That computer was long ago sold. He hardly as anything left from his mom trying to get quick cash. She even sold his nikes.

I was hoping someone might be able to help us. It's stuck on the ipad disabled screen that we need to connect it the computer. Anything would be helpful.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Did you call Apple or visit an Apple Store?

You should be able to restore the iPad, even with a computer that it wasn't originally setup with. However, it will delete all of the files, and it will be restored to how it originally came out of the box when new. Hopefully your nephew has an Apple ID, and was using iCloud to sync contacts, calendars, photos, etc. And, if it was setup and using an Apple ID, he will have to know the password to get through the setup screens. There isn't any way around that part of the iPad's security.

If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

The section titled Erase your device with recovery mode to remove your passcode are the steps to restore it.

Again, he will lose any data/files not synced with a computer or iCloud, but at least he will be able to set it up from scratch and use it.

Hope that helps and good luck.

C

Ask a Question