IP address conflict with another system on my network?

Reaction score
What does this mean? I've never gotten it before on any device. I've done a bit of research and read the culprit is often iPhones (or other Apple devices). I didn't receive an alert on my iPhone, though.

I also read it disables your internet connection, which mine has not. I'm still on my wifi network and the internet never cut out. However, one way allegedly to fix it is checking in the airport utility and that claims it's unable to find any wireless devices.

In system preferences I also checked network which shows airport being connected. I closed all programs (even those not connected to the internet) and reopened them and did not see the error again.

Similarly, I just put my laptop to sleep and woke it up again and did not receive the error. I got the error initially after waking it up.

I never manually entered an ip address, so it shouldn't be that, either. Probably going to also restart after posting this to see if it pops up again.

Should I be concerned someone's attempting to get on my network? Should I be worried about my privacy or computer contents? Also, why would this happen if I've never gotten the alert before? I'd like to better understand what's going on even if the problem won't arise again so I know what to expect if it happens again.

I also just checked the ip address I'm connected to; It doesn't look familiar. It's ###.###.#.### whereas I checked on one of those sites that shows you your ip and the one they popped up looked familiar ##.##.##.##. It's still working though, so should I attempt to change it?

Sorry, this got really long. Just wanted to make sure any information I had was included. I posted the same thing elsewhere and got no responses. I'm still apprehensive about signing into anything too personal (Ebay, Paypal, etc.) since I have no idea what's going on.

Reaction score
It is not your Mac that gives out the IP numbers, its the router. We find its more often a clash with a WiFi Printer or Windows/Andorid device, not Apple devices.

The 2 different IP number type are because one is your Routers IP number on the Internet and the other is your Local network. You would be in trouble if they were the same.

Reaction score
The problem occurs when your router allocates the sleeping Laptops IP number to another device on the network. Not normally a security risk.

Ask a Question