internet connection

Reaction score
HELP!!!! i am new to MAc (had my macbook 3days!!!) have set up user account etc, but cannot get internet connection, am trying to connect via my cable modem on ethernet, as do not have wireless router yet, as far as i am aware i have entered all info correctly-DNS number,ip addy etc,but still no joy, please help as i am desperaste to start using it to its full!!! many thanks kev

Reaction score
If you are connecting via ethernet, you should not have to key in any settings, where did you input settings?

Have you loaded any drivers for your cable modem?

Reaction score
hi, thanks for your help,

I inputted settings into system preferences>network,

not loaded any drivers, i no longer have the install disk for my ntl broadband connection,

Reaction score
something i forgo tto mention, i recieved 2 install disks with the macbook, it never prompted me to use these during setuo, so i justy assemed that these were recovery disks, should i have used these???

Reaction score
I would imagine that you will need to locate the drivers for your broadband cable modem to work on the Mac.

The network settings you have entered, if they are under the PPP tab, are mainly used for dialup accounts. You need to perhaps key in a few settings via TC/IP - (DNS should be automatic also, but you need to find out) and you need to find out if DHCP is manual or automatic, and if it is PPOA or PPOE.

The install discs are the system discs usually. What does it say on them?

Look here for more information, if your Ethernet light is showing green in the network preference pane, then read the following top portion:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106715

EDIT: The majority of the information is for connecting via airport and will be needed when you get a wireless router.

Reaction score
First try this:

Delete any settings you have put in and repair permissions. Plug in the ethernet cable (if it is not already plugged in) and restart your system after permissions have finished.

Reset your your cable modem (by unplugging the power for around 30 seconds) and then plug it back in. Wait a few secs and then get a browser window open - this should work.

You should not need to put any settings in anywhere from what I can gather.

Reaction score
someone else has told me that my isp recognises my pc ip addy and i may need to leave it for aboout 24hrs before plugging in my mac, any thoughts?]

Reaction score
No, not necessary. Delete any settings you have put in. Then repair permissions, then shut down your system.

Now plug out cable modem (from wall socket, not ethernet) and leave for at least 30 secs. Assuming you have connected the ethernet wire to the system, after 30 secs power cable modem on.

Once modem is trained (all lights functioning), then power up your system. Wait a few seconds then launch a browser window, (such as Safari) and now it should work.

Reaction score
hi mate,

tried what you suggested yesterday and it has worked,

many thanks for your help,

Ask a Question