Losing Internet connection and browsing reduced to snail's pace

Reaction score
Browsing and other Internet-dependent things like non-enhancedl dictation have become a pain, painfully slow and intermittent.

Sites (like for example this mac forum) become unresponsive whilst I am on them.

Safari tells me the site is not responding because I have no Internet connection, or Safari can't find it, or Safari cannot establish a secure connection with the site in question..

But System Preferences tells me I am connected, with all IP addresses etc specified.

Sometimes I recover briefly by turning Wi-Fi off and then on in System Preferences Network, other times Restart, but this tends to be brief and unsatisfactory..

I have not got vast amounts of stuff in history, that might perhaps clog things up – only since the end of last month.

On another device, my iPad, I am not having this problem so it seems to be internal to the Mac. It is only two metres away from the adsl.

What is the most likely cause of this problem which has been going on for days at least now?

Reaction score
You could try and turn off both the cable modem and router, wait a "certain" amount of time, and then turn them back on. The order you turn off and on the devices, and the amount of time they are left off, depends upon your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Ask a Question