Losing WIFI

Reaction score
Hi guys, very frustrating if anyone can help?
I am using a Mac Pro Tower with a TPLink High Gain Wireless USB adapter for internet.
Everything is fine, however, as soon as I plug a cable into EITHER ethernet ports I lose internet until I pull it out. So each time I want to print to my Xerox 7800 by ethernet, I have to plug the ethernet cable in, print, and then unplug ethernet to get internet again.
It's not the end of the world, but it is very frustrating.
Thank you in advance if anyone ca help and Happy New Year

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be as simple as the settings in  > System Preferences... > Network. Once there, click on the gear icon in the lower left and click Set Service Order... Click and drag Wi-Fi to the top of the list, followed by Ethernet second from the top. Restart your Mac.

Also, what brand/model is your router? If you have an LAN Ethernet port on it, you could add an inexpensive Ethernet switch, connect it to the router's LAN Ethernet port. You could then plug in both your Mac and the printer, and have slightly faster Internet and a permanent connection for the printer.

See if that helps the issue.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be as simple as the settings in  > System Preferences... > Network. Once there, click on the gear icon in the lower left and click Set Service Order... Click and drag Wi-Fi to the top of the list, followed by Ethernet second from the top. Restart your Mac.

Also, what brand/model is your router? If you have an LAN Ethernet port on it, you could add an inexpensive Ethernet switch, connect it to the router's LAN Ethernet port. You could then plug in both your Mac and the printer, and have slightly faster Internet and a permanent connection for the printer.

See if that helps the issue.

C
Thank you Cory it was indeed as simple as setting the service order, however, I would never have stumbled across it on my own.
Regards Peter

Ask a Question