Why is my internet connection dropping?

Reaction score
Ever since my ISP was bought by another company I have had problems connecting to the internet. For 8 years with the old ISP I almost never had a problem and if I did it corrected itself very soon. I haven't changed anything on my end but I get the info. below from Wireless Diagnostics. I have tried everything I have read on the subject of dropped internet connections but it makes no difference. I use the Airport Time Capsule (connected by an ethernet cable to the modem/router) as my wireless router due to its 802.11ac technology whereas the Actiontec AGT784WNV Wireless Gateway is only 802.11n. Thanks for any help you may offer me.
I have a MacBook Pro 11,3 with Retina display; OS X Mavericks (10.9.5); Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac v.7.7.7; Actiontec Wireless DSL Gateway/Router AGT784WNV.
dropped conection.jpg

summary.jpg

Attachments

• network diagnostics.jpg
    network diagnostics.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 395
  • dropped conection.jpg
    dropped conection.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 644
Reaction score
Hi,

Ever since my ISP was bought by another company

When your ISP changes settings a full reset or reconfigure of the TC is usually required.

Power off the TC pull the power cord wait 10sec then hold in the reset button to power on again still holding in reset and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led.
Release the reset and wait a couple of mins for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings.
If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. Be gentle with the reset just press it so you feel it click and no more.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of your TC should be deleted as this only removes the router settings of the TC.

Reaction score
Hi,

When your ISP changes settings a full reset or reconfigure of the TC is usually required.

Power off the TC pull the power cord wait 10sec then hold in the reset button to power on again still holding in reset and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led.
Release the reset and wait a couple of mins for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings.
If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. Be gentle with the reset just press it so you feel it click and no more.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of your TC should be deleted as this only removes the router settings of the TC.

Thank you so much. Can I use the "Restore Default Settings..." from the Airport Utility "Base Station" menu to do the reset?

Ask a Question