Internet Connection

Reaction score
When trying to connect new isp to imac using the network assistant I keep reaching the point where message says can't connect automatically therefore requires dhcp client id. ISP has no client id. I've searched on line and found no references to this but have followed the connect procedures given by apple- sys prefs, network, select ethernet connection (the window keeps flashing cable unplugged), invoke the wizard, tcp/ip set to using dhcp, then enter password to change the configuration then get the message that system requires client id for dhcp. Tried fudging id but no go. Have tried numerous time; restarted system, etc but no joy. The imac has been successfully connected to comcast . Current provider comes via ethernet cable from their box. No modem needed. Any and all suggestions welcomed. Very frustrating. Tks, Dr Tim Janis

Reaction score
Current provider comes via ethernet cable from their box. No modem needed.
Their box needs to provide a IP number if it uses DHCP. Nothing you can do if it doesn't, contact their support.
There should be nothing to setup, just plug in the ethernet cable and it should go.

Reaction score
Unfortunately doesn't go. Connects directly with pc but not mac. Network says cable unplugged. When modifying config with network wizard it always leads to wanting a dhcp client id. If you connect to a router first mac accepts it and is go. I currently have the mac set to share internet connection (ie function as wireless router). Could it be that I need to shut this sharing off before switching isp? Tks, tj

Ask a Question